Everyone doesn’t have to be a theology nerd, but if you want to know what it sounds like when we have fun, this conversation with John Thatamanil is exhibit A. Over the years, John and I have had multiple conversations on and off the podcast, and everyone is a complete joy. I am always wholly hyped when it is over and have a stack of ideas brewing in my head for weeks. This episode is no exception! Not only do we go deep into an adequate ontology for the breadth of religious experience, explore some Tillichian connections with Whitehead, and transformative explorations across religious pluralism, but we get personal about how the activity of thinking theologically is an intimate form of engagement with God. Relistening to this episode made me excited about my next conversation with John.
Dr. Thatamanil is Professor of Theology & World Religions at Union Theological Seminary in NYC.
- Circling the Elephant: A Comparative Theology of Religious Diversity
- The Immanent Divine: God, Creation And the Human Predicament: God, Creation, and the Human Predicament
- Theology Without Walls: The Transreligious Imperative
Previous Podcast visits from John
- What we do when we do theology
- A Comparative Theology of Religious Diversity
- Theology Without Walls
- Non-duality, Polydoxy, and Christian Identity
Join the class – Theology For Normal People
Things on the Homebrewed Horizon!