Nothing says friendship like permission to dabble in heresies together. In this episode, a group of friends who happen to be scholars of philosophy, psychology, science, and religion try to make each other uncomfortable by sharing a heresy. This podcast format was inspired by Kevin Kelly, who got Tim Ferris to try it on his show. We all had some fun. Let us know what you think about the format and how we might change it up in the future.
Dr. Myron Penner is a professor of philosophy at Trinity Western University and director of the Anabaptist-Mennonite Centre for Faith and Learning. On top of being a stellar scholar, he is a dear friend and the coolest Mennonite Canadian philosopher on planet earth.
Dr. Sarah Lane Ritchie received her B.A. in Philosophy & Religion from Spring Arbor University, an M.Div. from Princeton Theological Seminary, and an M.Sc. in Science & Religion from the University of Edinburgh. She obtained her Ph.D. at the University of Edinburgh in Science & Religion with a thesis on divine action and the human mind, and completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of St. Andrews. She has published a book with Cambridge University Press and numerous articles in academic journals, and continues research in the field of science and religion.
Dan Koch is one of my favorite people. He reached out to connect in person when he was thinking of starting a podcast, and since then, he has not only produced several quality podcasts, but I have grown to love having him in my life. Pretty Good Vibrations analyzes and celebrates pop and rock music and its crucial role throughout our lives. Podcast veteran and host Dan Koch (You Have Permission Podcast) has been a professional musician for most of the last 20 years: songwriter for the emo-pop band Sherwood, then as a commercial composer since 2012. Multiple episode styles include bracket-style tournaments, chronological walk-throughs, and deep dives into genres, artists, and eras. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Sarah, Dan, Sarey & Myron’s Previous Podcast Visits
- Myron Penner: Sex, God, & Gender
- Science and Spiritual Experience #Experiencing God
- The Living & Liberating Mystery #ExperiencingGod
- Bad Theology… Good God!
- Philosophy & the Experience of God
- The Evangelical Youth Group Fantasy Draft
- Religious Trauma, Bracketing Belief, & the Best Reason to Believe in God
- Sex, God, & Gender
- Navigating Philosophy & Religion
- a Minimally Viable God Concept
- Staff Lounge Shenanigans
- Can Scientists study gods, souls, and rituals?
- an Integrated Physicality and the Sacred
- Trilogies, Atonement Power Rankings, & Sex Work at Happy Hour
- Everyone You Ever Loved Will Die, so Merry Christmas!
- Kombucha, Meditation, Tarot, and Stink Bombs
- Only Friends Share Mixtapes
- You Have Permission to be Awesome
- The Best Antidote to Rampant Partisanship