Get ready for a theology nerd fiesta with Greg Boyd. Greg is the co-founder of Woodland Hills Church, where he currently serves as senior pastor, and the founder of Re|Knew. Greg is on talking about his new, two-volume book, The Crucifixion of the Warrior God. Over two volumes, Gregory A. Boyd argues that we must take seriously the full range of Scripture as inspired, including its violent depictions of God. At the same time, he affirms the absolute centrality of the crucified and risen Christ as the supreme revelation of God.
In this episode, Tripp and Greg talk about:
- how to understand the “violent God” of the Old Testament
- the revelation of God and the role the cross plays in it
- the role the warrior God passages played in the Roman empire
- the cosmic conflict narrative, where the cross is the final battle between God and cosmic powers
- plus, how we fit the demonic into our worldview today.
We’ve teamed up with our friends at Fortress Press to giveaway a signed copy of Greg Boyd’s two volume work The Crucifixion of the Warrior God. PLUS, the winner will also get 10 signed copies of the condensed version, Cross Vision, perfect for a small group discussion. And make sure to join Greg, Rachel Held Evans, and Tripp for the ReKnew Conference, September 21-23 in St. Paul.
And if you just can’t wait until September, then head on over to theologybeercamp.com and get your tickets for Denver (Aug. 18-19) and Oklahoma City (Aug. 25-26) and join Peter Rollins and Tripp for two days of theological nerdiness, craft beer, and all the karaoke you can handle.